Sunday, August 26, 2012

A little rain goes a long way....

Growing up in the semi arid climate of Utah, we were pretty accustom to dragging the hose around the yard and garden every day, making sure everything got sufficiently soaked. The Utah heat was too dry and intense for most anything to survive except sage brush. When I moved to the midwest, I fell hard and fast in love with the lush foliage that seemingly sprouted without the least bit of coaxing.  I've been happily avoiding my hose since moving to this great state. And yes, I regularly kill my hanging baskets. Hey- I'm raising kids here, not plants.

Enter the drought of 2012. We arrived home from our trip to Yellowstone and our lawn was DEAD.  Not only is it yellow, but it's crunchy! I can't even run and grab the mail without my flip flops to protect my delicate feet from the cactus lawn. Note - my neighbor does obsessively water her lawn during periods of drought, as seen in this photo.

Why yes, this is another babybird, Henry can seek out a baby bird a mile away. 


Enter a few good rainstorms, and look!! It's like magic.


Grass so soft and green I can plop my baby down and not worry about her getting dry grass slivers. We sure do love our midwest rainstorms.

3 comments:

Cindy said...

And I sure do love that sweet baby Amelia! Miss you bunches.

Grandma Scott said...

Wow I wish my grass would come back..like that... Especially with that cutest baby coming up in it...
Wht a sweet baby. And a baby bird tender as well... Lucky, Lucky Mom

Peggy said...

Amelia is getting so big! Too cute!