I've been participating in La Fuji Mama's Washoku Warriors Japanese cooking challenges, this month I forgot to send my write up in, but I'm posting it here anyway!
I was really excited to try this months food challenge because the only exposure I have had to dumplings were from the frozen section at Trader Joe's. I had no trouble finding wakame at my local market. I did have to buy a rather large bag though, I'm going to be on the lookout for other recipes to try it with. When I read this recipe I was wondering if there would be enough flavor in the dumplings, no garlic, no ginger? But of course after one taste my doubts were laid to rest, they were delicious! The miso and leek paired well with the subtle sesame oil flavor. I used a purple cabbage leaf, which I probably wouldn't do again, it made the filling an unappetizing shade of grey/purple. Other than that, they were delicious! I will definitely make the recipe again. No more Trader Joe's frozen dumplings for me!
La Fuji Mama is still accepting new members to Washoku Warriors, so if this sounds like something you're interested in, you should think about joining! I'm learning so much about Japanese cooking.
ps. A huge thundercloud rolled by right as I was taking this picture, so the photo is the best I could do with 4 hungry people trying to snatch the dumpling off the plate!
7 comments:
Hahaha, that's so funny about the purple cabbage leaf! We should start a list of funny things that happen inadvertently like that! Looks like you did a fabulous job!
I have no idea what wakame is.... dare I try it ??
I love dumplings...
Wow. I'm impressed. Wish I had a sample. mmmmmmmmm.
I wish you had a picture of the purple filling, but I know how hard it is to take a picture before the hungry ones take over the table...
Way to go Amber, looks delish--I'm impressed. You are a great cook!
Amber, I really love this blog!
The food looks great and your family is amazing!
I will come back to follow the Sassy Chronicles!
;)
Fuji Mama- Thanks! It was a fun challenge!
Grandma- Wakame is just like seaweed, try it, you'll like it!
Jen- a quick airplane ride and I'll make some gyoza for you! It's not too far to come from Sicily is it?
Foodhoe- The purple filling was really gross, but it tasted OK!
Mom- Thanks! I'll make you some if you come visit!
Marina- Thanks! I'm glad you like the blog, I try to update it often, somedays I'm better than others.
Post a Comment