Monday, April 26, 2010

Laura's Asian chicken salad

I've tried many Asian chicken salad recipes, and keep coming back to this one recipe that a dear friend shared with me about 10 years ago. Every time I try a new Asian salad recipe, it just doesn't compare to this one. Maybe I'm nostalgic about the times I would get together with my dear friend Laura and talk over a bowl of this salad, but I really think the recipe is delicious and should be on everyone's meal rotation!
The quantities for the salad are estimated, really you can add more of one thing and less of another, more chicken if you want it to be a main course, less if you want it to be a side... you catch my drift!

Laura's Asian Chicken Salad (serves 4)

about 5 oz baby greens (it's super easy to buy a package of these at your grocery store, no washing, drying, etc.)
1 or 2 grilled chicken breasts (sometimes I just bake them in the oven if it's too cold to go out to the grill)
1 can mandarin oranges, drained
Crispy fried noodles (like LaChoy) tip... if you don't think you'll be eating the entire salad in one sitting, serve these noodles on the side, they'll go soggy if you keep them in the fridge!
3 chopped green onions
chopped, toasted almonds (1/2 cup)
chopped cilantro (1/2 cup maybe)
chopped celery (1-2 ribs)

Dressing
(I've started halving the recipe since I discovered I was always throwing away exactly half after the salad was gone, I'm including the whole recipe here though)

1/4 cup rice vinegar
1/4 cup dark sesame oil
1/4 cup regular white sugar
2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 cup canola oil

whisk all ingredients together and serve with the salad. Simple, straight forward, tangy, sweet... Delicious!

And Laura, I miss you more than words can say! I think of you every time I eat this salad (and every day in between, actually).

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just got the recipe for a delicious Asian Chicken Salad. It might be worth a try for you. It won't replace this one, becuase it is different, you serve it with Linguine. It is delicious!!! I'll send it to you.

Cindy said...

Looks tasty Amber. Would it be good with shredded Napa? I think it just may be dinner tonight. I have rotisserie chicken in the fridge. Thanks! We need to post our menus, love new ideas.

Adam and Nikki Johnson said...

I'm excited to try this! I love Asian salads. I had one lately at Panera that was a little strong on the ginger. This one looks awesome. by the way, I didn't know you could buy neon food coloring. You are so creative with your kids. You should consider starting a preschool with all your fun ideas! Just kidding!

TracyH said...

Where do you get the sesame sauce? I think this sounds really good. :)

Amber said...

Hi Aunt Tracy, you can get dark sesame oil near the other oils at your supermarket, it should be pretty easy to find, just don't get the light sesame oil, you want the dark for the best flavor!

Candise said...

This was dinner tonight. Delicious! Thanks. I have FINALLY found the Asian Salad I have been trying to create for quite a while. I was skeptical about the amount of sesame oil...but it was very tasty!