A few days ago I was sitting on the front porch (it was actually warm enough!) and noticed some robins flying in and out of an evergreen bush on the side of our house, upon close inspection, I noticed a well camouflaged nest of baby robins! I've seen plenty of robins nests in our yard, but I always happen upon them in the fall after the leaves are long gone and the baby birds have grown and flown away. I was so excited to tell the kids, they are at such a fun age to appreciate things like baby birds in nests. Of course the kids were thrilled to find a nest with baby birds and ever since, I've been getting 50x daily baby bird updates! Harrison would sit on the front porch for an hour and note the comings and goings of the birds. We've been reading up on the life cycle of robins and have been very excited about the whole thing. Well, today Harrison rushed inside and shouted that the baby bird had fallen from the nest, and that I should come quick! We discovered that today was the day the birds were going to fly the coop and leave the nest, all 4 baby birds jumped from the nest and were hopping around the yard! This kind of excitement ranks right up there with Disneyland for my kids!

Harrison wanted desperately to hold one! Turns out wild animals are called wild for a reason. He never did get to hold it.
This baby would open his mouth wide whenever Harrison would get his finger close! I kept missing the action shot, baby birds are hard to capture with a camera!
They have one cornered! Notice the long stick that Henry was using to defend himself against the birds.
This one hopped into our garage! We never did see if it hopped out. Guess we'll find out in a few days, right?
The empty nest.
Mom and dad robin were always hovering, letting us know that we were too close to the babies.
We found a worm to feed them, but then they had all disappeared!
I think this is the most fun we have all had in a while! This is such a magical age, I cherish (most) every minute I get with these kids!
3 comments:
Wow, that is awesome. Nothing like science up close. Harrison and Henry look like they are totally into it. What a fun experience. See you soon!
Amber I don't know how to thank you for bringing the magic to me...
I loved this..
Post a Comment