Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Whole wheat flax & oatmeal bread

I've been making the same bread recipe for years now. I just realized a few days ago that it was getting, well a little old. So I decided to try something new, and I'm so glad I did. I love this new bread recipe I came up with. If you like to bake bread at all, give this bread a try!






Whole Wheat Flax & Oatmeal Bread

Makes 2 loaves (I know, the picture shows 4, but I doubled it....)

In your mixer (with dough hook) add:

3 cups wheat flour

1/2 cup quick oatmeal (dry)

2T ground flaxseed. I grind my flax in a coffee grinder, works like a charm!

1/4 cup gluten (or just use white flour if you don't have gluten)

1 heaping Tablespoon yeast

2 cups water 110-115 degrees

1/8 tsp. vitamin C powder (optional)

Turn the mixer on low until combined. Let mixture sit or "proof" for about 10-20 minutes. It should raise and puff up a bit.

Once dough has proofed, add

3T oil

3T honey

2 teaspoons salt

Turn mixer on medium speed (on my bosch mixer, it's 3) and add up to 2 more cups of flour, or until the dough cleans the side of the mixer and starts to knead together (I usually add 1/2 cup at a time, sometimes more, sometimes less, depending on the day, humidity, temperature, etc). When the dough forms a ball and cleans the side of the bowl, set your timer for 7 minutes and mix.

After the bread has mixed, pour a bit of oil on the counter, don't use flour! Shape into 2 loaves, place in greased pan, cover with a clean dishtowel and let raise 20 to 30 minutes depending on the temperature of your kitchen, or until the bread reaches the top of the pan.

Bake at 350 for 35 minutes.... I know this last step is hard, but it makes a difference... let the bread cool completely before slicing! I mean it....

6 comments:

Grandma Scott said...

How can anyone pass up the chance to have hot bread ??? and letting it cool... You are a strong woman...

I don't have a mixer but the bread sounds wonderful...

Amy Lindstrom ~ YourLifeUncommon.com said...

You don't know how much I wanted this! I am not a bread fan. I don't love the taste, but I love the smell! My family will love for me to make this stuff!

I am TOTALLY trying it!

Dalynne Denhof said...

Since I already love your "traditional" bread recipe, I will most definitely try this one too! Thanks for sharing the recipe! P.S. When r we going to get together??

Anonymous said...

I'll bet it smelled so good at your house!

Melanie Anne said...

Mmm this bread looks so good!! I love that it has wheat, flax and oatmeal in it. That sounds so yummy!

Dalynne Denhof said...

Update--I made the bread and it turned out really good! Thanks again :)